Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My plans for today

I was going to write about what happened on my return to the Pink Poodle 3 weeks after I was offered a job in 1982.


But today is my first day back to dancing for the 2012.  I woke up feeling like I have allergies, so my memory of my return day is not as clear as I want it to be.  So, I'll write in the present instead of the past.  My eyes are red and swollen.  I took a dance class that wasn't my usual pole or burlesque thing.  It was a "swaggerific" exotic dance class.  


Dancing with "swag" is basically a lot of undulating movement, but with more "bounce" than back in the day.  I use a lot of those moves anyway, since they are trendy in the club scene these days.  But this instructor's warm ups to the class just didn't make sense to me and, yeah, they kind of kicked my ass.  It was all lower body, repetitive movement and hardly any upper body stretching.


I now bounce between 3 different clubs in the Los Angeles area.  The one I'm going to today has an older crowd.  Even the younger dancers there will pull out Jimi Hendrix, Etta James or Barry White. Or classic hair bands.


It's funny.  In the 80's, I wasn't a pop fan, some funk was ok and I HATED  Foreigner!  I was that Cure, Depeche Mode, Sex Pistols, Killing Joke girl.  Ok, some Duran Duran, Berlin and Blondie.


I know "swag" and rap match.  The thing is: I like a lot of rap.  I was dancing to Run DMC and Grand Master Flash in the 80's, Snoop, Cypress Hill and Queen Latifah in the 90's (though I preferred Nirvana, Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins).


So now, I like Wiz, Lil' Wayne, Lupe Fiasco and even Ludicris.  But what makes me feel uncomfortable is the constant use of the "n-bomb".  I'm a tiny, white, blond woman and somehow, I don't feel I have the right to dance to music that drops a lot of "n-bombs".  Wiz does this a lot and so does Rashida.  It's too bad.  I dig both a lot.  Perhaps it's because my dad likes to drop the "n-bomb" in conversation when I visit him just because he knows it annoys me.  Who knows?


We have a digital juke box at this tiny club.  I'll play it safe with some Amy Whinehouse, Katy Perry and Coldplay, lol.


Are there any other dancers out there who feel the way I do?  Or disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment